Photos and stories about my expat experience in China, currently in Bejing.
See more pictures on:
My Rebubble site

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hong Kong


My girlfriend's new niece. We went to visit her brother in the city of Luoyang
She is 20 days old, but doesn't have a name yet (and already promoting camera equipment ;)




So I'm in Hong Kong now.



After staying in Luoyang for a few days I returned to Beijing to pick up my 'exit visa' valid for five days and required to leave the country. I then took a train to Hong Kong, which took 25 hours but wasn't too bad. I slept most of the way.

In Hong Kong, I quickly arranged a new visa and bought a train ticket back to China. It is much easier here than anywhere else, and HK is a famous destination for foreigners in Asia who are on a visa run.

After having been in mainland China for so long, coming to Hong Kong feels like going to London; everything is in English, and the general atmosphere is also very Western.
Also VERY commercial and crowded...

I found a cheap hostel, located in a large building called the Mirador Mansion. Inside is a maze of hotels, offices, restaurants and all kinds of little companies. A single room is exactly the size of one bed (I'm not exaggerating) but I am staying in a dorm, which has four beds and has a window (a luxury).
Lunch

There are many Indian and Pakistani people here, and for dinner I helped myself to a wonderful Indian meal in one of the many restaurants.

Yesterday I climbed Victoria Hill, using the longest escalator in the world (800m) and found a park to relax in.

The day before, the view was obscured by smog. I couldn't even see across the water, but today it was better, although there was still a large cloud of pollution hanging over the city.
Hong Kong Zoological and botanical gardens

Quite a surreal sight. I'm a few hundred metres above sea level now.


There is not much place for nature anywhere else in this city...

Night skyline of Hong Kong Island


Promenade



There were all kinds of things going on here: A squash championship, a (very graphic but peaceful) protest against the Chinese Communist Party and music and dance.

Squash


These drummers were part of the demonstration. They handed out a sort of newspaper with anti-CCP propaganda.

Tomorrow I'll take a train to Shanghai (19 hours) and my friend there will buy me a ticket to Beijing (10 hours, hard seat) and if I survive I will arrive in Beijing on Friday, 8 AM.

No comments: