Photos and stories about my expat experience in China, currently in Bejing.
See more pictures on:
My Rebubble site

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Back in Suzhou

I'm back in Suzhou now. I arrived in Shanghai at midnight on the Chinese New Year, and could see the fireworks shooting into the night sky from the plane.

China is cold this time of year. Especially coming from Manila, where it was 30 degrees, when I arrived, there was still snow everywhere. The nights were freezing, and during the days it was little above 0 degrees. Right now it is a little better here in Suzhou, something like 10 degrees during the day and 3 at nights.

The past two weeks have been holidays (the Spring Festival) here in China, and there were fireworks every night. It is for sale on every street corner, and at any time of day, groups of Chinese are shooting them off. (From 6 AM to 2AM all day long sometimes) Most people have parties and big (huge) dinners with friends and family. I was invited to a few dinners, and it was great. My plate and glass were never empty!

I registered for my studies, which will start next week. I found an apartment to live in and bought a cheap PC. All I need now is a bicycle, which I might buy tomorrow.

Suzhou is quite a rich and developed city, and there are many Western bars and shops here. Many people can speak English (relatively, of course) and it is easy to go around. The old town is quite touristy, but not too bad. I live now near the University Campus, which is about 30 minutes walk from down town. I am renting a room on the 7th floor (no lift) with a Chinese family who cannot speak any English, which should be good for my practice. I can't wait to start studying some proper Chinese.My friend's niece & nephew
Lanterns in the old town on the last day of the Spring Festival

SIP (Suzhou Industrial Park), an area with many international businesses and a large lake
My friend's niece trying to fly a kite with no wind :)
'Open Mic night' in the Bookworm cafe, some really cool jazz jams every Wednesday nights
Clearing the ice of the shopping street. A common sight here: 2 people at work and about 10 standing around, watching.
Mascots for the Beijing Olympics, they are everywhere!
Old town by night

No comments: