Photos and stories about my expat experience in China, currently in Bejing.
See more pictures on:
My Rebubble site

Monday, November 27, 2006

Mt Emei

This was the street my hostel was in in Chengdu, it was located in a little 'hutong' and they were just putting in sewage, so it was quite an adventure getting to and from the entrance!

Hello again. I am now in the 'Teddy bear hostel' at the foot of Mt Emei, still in Sichuan.

After seeing the panda's in Chengdu (and getting soaked in rain) I took a bus to Leshan (2 hrs) which was allright, and I checked into a hotel there for 1 night. All in all I stayed in Chengdu for 6 nights, but the weather wasn't so good so I am happy going South soon.



I went to see the 'Grand Buddha' which is a 71 meter high statue carved out of the mountain. It took over 90 years to build this thing, and it is truely huge. Unfortunately, it was raining and a bit cold, so I spent the rest of the day sipping tea in one of the tea houses in town. I liked Leshan, as it was about the same size as Nijmegen, which is tiny for Chinese standards. Things were not as hectic as in the big cities, and people were more friendly and did not try to sell me stuff all the time.

The next day I took another bus to Emei, where I am now. I climbed the mountain today (well.... I took a bus up there, and walked around for a bit.) The mountain is full of buddhist temples and monestaries, and they have made it very easy for (the herds of) tourists to walk around. There are also many monkeys on this mountain. The Chinese like to tease them and it was quite sad to see the monkeys begging for food.

Tomorrow I'll go up again, since my ticket is valid for 2 days, and go to the summit (3077m). In the evening I have to catch my train to Kunming (18 hours).

No comments: